Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stovetop Homemade Potpourri

I love making my home smell more "homey" when guests come to visit. One really simple way to do this is by making stovetop potpourri using fruits and spices that I already have in my kitchen. Here's an easy way to bring the smell of fall to your home any time of the year.

First, assemble your ingredients. You'll need cinnamon sticks, an orange, a lemon, and cloves. You can use more or less of each ingredient depending on your preferences. I love cinnamon, so I used a whole package of cinnamon sticks.


Place the cinnamon in a sauce pan, tea kettle, or crock pot.



Cut up the lemon and lime into slices.







Place the fruit in the sauce pan (or crock pot, which is what I used):



Add the cloves. You can use whole or powdered. I happened to have powdered. I recommend a few teaspoons, but you can use more if you really like the smell of cloves.





Add water:



Plug in the crock pot or turn on the stove. Let the mixture simmer as long as desired to create a lasting scent. Add water every hour, ensuring that the mixture doesn't dry out.


This isn't a food item like I normally showcase on this blog, but it's technically edible...if you like that sort of thing!

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment