Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Pad Thai

I just had a totally awesome, go-back-for-seconds (if you're still hungry) dinner. Pad Thai is one of my all-time favorite dishes, and I really wanted to see if I could make a healthier home version. Mission accomplished.

As usual, I consulted my favorite website, EatingWell.com, for ideas, and boy did it deliver! This dish was easy to make and tasted just like the "real thing," just less oily and a bit lighter. Check it out here.

I bought all of these ingredients at Sprouts, but I'm sure you can get them at most large grocery stores or Whole Foods.

Pad Thai
3 servings (1 1/3 cups each)

Ingredients:
4 oz dried rice noodles
2 tsp. peanut oil (I used sesame oil)
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 4)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
8 oz small shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups mung bean sprouts
1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
3 T. rice vinegar
2 1/2 T. fish sauce
2 T. sugar (I omitted this)
1 tsp. chili-garlic sauce
2 T. chopped dry roasted peanuts

Instructions:
Soak rice noodles in warm water for 20 minutes. (Instead of doing this, I just boiled them in hot water for 4-5 minutes, or until soft.)


(Dry noodles):


(Post boiling):


Heat oil in wok over high heat until very hot.


Add the garlic and stir-fry until golden.


Add the eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. You can add one, like the instructions recommend...



...or 3 if you really like eggs...


Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink and curl, about 2 minutes.



Drain the noodles and add to the walk, tossing with tongs until they are soft and curl, about 1 minute.


Add bean sprouts:


Scallion greens:




Vinegar:


Fish sauce:



Chile-garlic sauce (and sugar if you use it):


Toss until shrimp are heated throughout. Add peanuts and serve with lime wedge.


Serve with a nice big green salad and enjoy! If you make one thing this month, and you seriously love Pad Thai, I highly recommend trying it out!


*M*

1 comment: