Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Brown Butter

Every week I get inspired to browse the Eating Well and Whole Living websites to find something new and delicious to cook. I really wanted to make something that used farm fresh vegetables from the North Scottsdale Farmers' Market and was quick and delicious.

In stumbling upon this gnocchi recipe, I was a little skeptical...nutmeg? In gnocchi? The multiple positive reviews swayed me, and boy am I glad I made it! This was absolutely delicious, and the nutmeg added a subtle depth of flavor. My husband, the true test of a flavorful dish, gobbled up every last bit the next day. Great success!

Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons and Parsley Brown Butter

Serves 4 (1 1/2 cups each)

Ingredients

1 lb fresh or frozen gnocchi (I used dried whole wheat from Trader Joe's)
2 T organic butter (I used 3 because of the recommendations)
2 medium shallots, chopped
1 lb zucchini, about 3 small, thinly sliced length-wise
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 tsp. Redmond's sea salt
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated (organic raw) parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Here's the gnocchi I used. It's not homemade, but it has a pretty decent ingredient list and a ton of fiber (8 grams)! For a packaged food, it's pretty good.


Cook gnocchi until they float, 3 to 5 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.

Here are the veggies (minus the shallots) that I cut up. To make the zucchini ribbons, use a veggie peeler or mandolin.


Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.


Add tomatoes, salt, nutmeg and pepper and continue cooking, stirring often, until the tomatoes are just starting to break down, 1 to 2 minutes.


Stir in Parmesan and parsley. Add the gnocchi and toss to coat.


Serve immediately. It goes great with a big green salad!


Enjoy :)

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment