Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let the Food Photography Begin



Tonight I decided that even though I was going to heat up (on the stove - no microwave here!) some leftover chili for a quick dinner, I still had a beautiful bunch of organic, locally grown kale from my Nature's Garden Delivered box. What to do with these beautiful leafy greens? I'm actually a fan of the raw kale salad at Whole Foods, and I love juicing with Kale or even adding it to recipes, but I had never actually cooked it alone. Kale is chock full of vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals (a.k.a. really good, healthy, cancer-fighting properties), and it would be a shame to let the bunch go to waste in my crisper. I found a simple recipe from www.drbenkim.com, one of my favorite natural health resources. The olive oil I used is from the Queen Creek Olive Mill (thanks Mom and Dad!) and is cold pressed extra virgin olive oil. Here is the recipe:



Ingredients:
1 bunch of organic kale, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 yellow onion, sliced (I chopped)
1-2 cloves of garlic, mined or finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 cup vegetable broth or water (I used organic chicken broth)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or pan. Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes or until slightly translucent. Stir frequently to make sure the onions don't burn.

Add the garlic and kale and mix them together with onions.


Allow garlic, kale, and onions to cook for one minute before adding broth and cover pot or pan for 4-6 minutes. Check kale from time to time, starting at the 4 minute mark, to check tenderness.


Once kale is tender, add sea salt and just a few drops of lemon juice. Give it one last stir and serve. Be sure not to add too much lemon juice, as it can make the dish sour.

Serve with a bowl of brown rice or quinoa and avocado, or perhaps a small piece of grass-fed beef. It was absolutely delicious and a little prettier than my amateur photography skills can give it credit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment