Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Good eats...and what's in my fridge right now


So yesterday I met up with a good friend a Wildflower Bread Company. I absolutely love their soups, but after looking at the ingredient list online (which is linked directly from their soup list), I was a little hesitant to get it. Most of their soups had at least 20-30 ingredients, and many contained soy and even sulfites. Eh, I'll pass. I went with the Chopped Salad (hold the cranberries, dressing on the side), which has arugula, salmon, dried corn, sunflower seeds, parmesan, bell pepper, and Israeli couscous. Yum!



My mother-in-law would be proud: Greg and I just got our first installment of Cutco knives that we paid for ourselves! Greg's side of the family introduced us to Cutco, and they got us our main set for our wedding. We decided to add on with fun ones - a cheese cutter; an ice cream scoop with metal that somehow stays cold and melts the ice cream as it scoops through; a peeler that peels both ways (up and down); a curved knife used for cutting the tops off of produce while holding it (like strawberries); kitchen scissors; and a "thwapper" (a sandwich spreader that's serrated on one side for cutting). We're hooked. I'd rather buy new kitchen knives than clothes.

The cheese knife was perfect for cutting my just purchased Kilaree Cheddar from Whole Foods. It was only $2.40 for a big block, and it's made from milk from grass-fed, organically raised cows. There was a $0.55 coupon for it, too! Score.




For lunch I had a quinoa patty and raw kale salad from Whole Foods, plus a few pieces of this amazing cheese. It's never too early to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with Irish cheese, right? Besides, my married name is quite Irish...

You can make the quinoa cakes yourself with the recipe found at here. They're super awesome heated in a toaster oven, and they taste creamy and flavorful. Quinoa is a whole grain that is more alkaline in nature and is relatively high in protein and fiber. I absolutely love eating it in the "cake" form!



So after my trip to Whole Foods (but before I go to Trader Joe's tomorrow to get some more organic produce for the week), here's what my fridge looks like right now:


Those drinks on the right are GT's Synergy kombucha in Trilogy flavor. To the left of these wonder drinks are Steaz sparkling green tea, raspberry flavor. My husband's New Year's resolution was to stop drinking all soda (including diet soda - yuck). I like the Steaz for him because it's made with stevia, a natural, 0-calorie sweetener, and green tea. I don't like that it's still carbonated, but if I can get him off soda, then we're half-way there. (Eventually I'll get him to drink kombucha...well, maybe...) On the top shelf you'll notice probiotics and cod liver oil, and the produce bins are somewhat full with organic fruits and veggies. Organic raw and (unfortunately) pasteurized cheeses, as well as goat cheese, go below, as do organic meats. My fridge will fill up once I start making some great recipes this week and have some leftovers!

Off to wash my car outside (it's 70 degrees!) and get a massage. Hope your Saturday is full of healthful eating, relaxation, and some fun.

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment