Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Lentil Summer Salad {and new intern Macy!}

Wow, I'm a seriously lucky chick.  I get not one, but two fabulous interns this year. These girls are going to help me at an integral time for Nutrition Transitions, and I'm thrilled to have their help.  (Of course, I hope they don't mind me running them ragged!)

Macy is my second, but equally as cool, ASU intern who comes to Arizona from the midwest - just like me.  She will make an awesome dietitian!  I love that she just made up this awesome recipe, below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Macy, I am 21 years old and currently in my senior year of dietetics at Arizona State University.


I grew up in a small town in Illinois and moved here last year to chase my dreams of becoming a registered dietitian. I work as a health technician at the VA hospital in Phoenix, discussing meal choices with our veterans. I love my job and my chosen career due to the satisfaction that comes from helping and educating people.

I have always had a deep adoration and true passion for food, nutrition, and wellness. It all came full circle when I was diagnosed with a stomach disease three years ago. I can now only tolerate non-processed whole foods, which is not necessarily a bad thing! I just remember my mom saying to me “this happened for a reason, it will help you educate and understand individuals that will seek your help as a dietitian”.  Now, here I am doing just that. I am thrilled to be chosen to assist Megan this year, soaking up all her inspiring nutritional knowledge! I am also excited to share some of my favorite recipes with you all. I love experimenting in the kitchen and letting my creativity and curiosity get the best of me.

Lentil Summer Salad

Ingredients:

1 cup dry green lentils
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
¾ cup peeled and diced carrots
1/3 cup peeled and diced celery
1/3 cup diced red & yellow bell peppers
¼ cup diced red onion
1/3 cup minced fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
1 clove minced garlic
1 lemon zest and juiced
1 T. citrus olive oil (regular works too)
Sprinkle of salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar

Instructions:

Cook lentils with the thyme and bay leaves for 15 minutes then add to bowl of finely diced vegetables and serve at any desired temperature (I think it is best refrigerated).


There’s nothing like a quick, easy, refreshing, protein packed summer salad!






Enjoy!
Macy

No comments:

Post a Comment