Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October Pumpkin Series: Pumpkin Chili


Intern Kelsey's second pumpkin post - yum, chili!   I bet this would be awesome with some homemade healthy cornbread...

*M*

****************

From Kelsey:

This time of the year is my absolute favorite. The weather is cooling down, Halloween is in a few weeks and then it will be my favorite holiday of the year, Thanksgiving. I might be a little more excited for Thanksgiving this year due to my birthday being the day after! I cannot even remember the last time I had my birthday off.  I almost always have an exam, school or work on my birthday so I’m looking forward to relaxing and maybe traveling somewhere this year.

So, if you haven’t been able to tell from my previous post, I am pretty much obsessed with pumpkin. My obsession, however, has only led me to try pastry/dessert pumpkin items such as pies, cookies, puddings, frozen yogurt, etc. When Megan gave me the idea of doing a savory pumpkin item, I was unsure of what I would pick. She was then kind enough to send me some ideas, one of them being this AMAZING pumpkin chili from the blog Wellness Mama. As my mom would say, amazing does not even begin to describe it. The flavors are incredible and the pumpkin aroma instantly fills the house. I tweaked the recipe a little bit, adding some organic great northern beans to it. Adding beans, along with the pumpkin puree, will give you a good amount of fiber, which then means this recipe will keep you full for awhile. The only downside was that I could not eat any of my pumpkin no bake cookies I had made earlier in the day or the pumpkin bread I had also made (will be on blog next week). But it was well worth it!! And yes, I did make three pumpkin items in one day.

Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do! This dish is perfect to make during this wonderful AZ weather we have been experiencing!

Pumpkin Chili

Ingredients:

1 pound organic grass-fed ground beef
2 onions
1 (16 ounce) can of BPA free diced tomatoes (drained)
1 (15/16 ounce) can or jar of tomato sauce
1 (15/16 ounce) can of pureed pumpkin
1 cup organic beef broth
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 avocado
Cheese and sour cream to top
*I also added one can of great northern beans

Instructions:

Assemble Ingredients.


Brown beef in a large pot.


When beef is almost completely cooked, add the onions and cook until soft.

Add the pureed pumpkin, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, stock, beans and spices.


Simmer for 10 minutes until heated through.  


Top with cheese or avocado slices.



Enjoy!

Kelsey

1 comment:

  1. best low carb snacks Plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack foods for the entire week, making sure you adhere to your calorie allowance. Make an effort to arrange for four to seven times’ worth of meals and snacks. Make a shopping list, but don’t shop when you’re hungry as that can lead to high-calorie impulse buys! The target shouId be an accurate lifestyle change to attain a sustainable outcome,” Carraro said. “You want to set new habits and not make a transient change just.”
    http://www.cureidea.com/keto-snacks-list

    ReplyDelete