Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

All About Oats Part 3: Overnight Oats (Guest Blogger)

Meet Kelsey.


Kelsey is my wonderful intern.  I'm so excited to have her help!  Her sister Angie and I have been friends since college, and I have gotten to know their wonderful family over the years.  Kelsey will make an awesome RD soon.  Below is her first blog post about super popular Overnight Oats.  Enjoy!

*M*

**********
I am both excited and grateful to be a guest blogger and intern for this amazing site! I would like to share with you one of my favorite breakfast recipes. This recipe is essential to me since I am constantly rushing out the door in the morning, yet I still know that I need to eat something for breakfast (the most important meal of the day some will say). Right now I am a full time student at ASU, a volunteer at a hospital and a dance/tumbling instructor. My days consist of waking up and rushing out the door to the gym, rushing to get to school and rushing to get to work. I do find time to relax and do pilates and yoga every once in awhile!

I was first introduced to overnight oats at the Gilbert Farmer’s Market: Uprooted Kitchen. I was a bit skeptical because I was unsure if I would like oats that were chilled. After I tasted the first bite, I absolutely loved them. I then did a great deal of research on different recipes and found that the flavor possibilities were endless. I thought to myself, “I could make this every morning for breakfast and never get tired of it!” I am thrilled to share with you the favorite recipe that I have found for overnight oats. I have, no joke, been eating these for breakfast for the last week.

Overnight oats are a super quick and easy meal that will please anyone who likes flavored oats. 

Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats


Ingredients:
¼ cup Old Fashioned Oats (not the quick, instant or steel cut)
1/3 cup almond milk
1 ½ teaspoon chia seeds
¼ cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon PB2 (peanut butter powder)

Optional:
1/4 cup walnuts
In the morning add:
1 banana
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
  
Instructions:

Assemble ingredients 

 

Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake/stir it together. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator or up to three days and enjoy! 
 
 

Once I take it out in the morning, I add a banana and 1 tablespoon hemp seeds for an extra crunch and protein.
 


Do not be afraid to try other ideas! I have only made the peanut butter banana but once I move pass my obsession with this flavor, I want to try blueberry maple, apple cinnamon, banana cocoa, etc.!!
 

Have fun and be creative! Hope you all enjoy!


Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment