Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Raw Kale Salad - Whole Foods Inspired

Of all the pre-made items at Whole Foods, my favorite go-to is their raw kale salad.  Full of wonderfully healthy tomatoes, pine nuts and cranberries, it has a tangy-sweet flavor but is packed with vitamin A, vitamin K, lycopene (anti-oxidant), flavonoids (anti-inflammatory), and isothyocyanates (cancer-preventive).  Plus, with a bag of pre-chopped organic kale, it's super easy and quick to make.

Even though the kale is completely raw, in this recipe it is softened and has a very palatable texture.  What's the secret, you ask?  Adding lemon juice and "massaging" it into the kale softens this sometimes bitter member of the cabbage family and imparts a fresh flavor.  I found this recipe on WeGottaEat and adapted it slightly for my liking.  I also added tomato so it's just like the kind I purchase at my local WF.  The pictures are of this recipe, doubled.  It keeps really well in the refrigerator for a few days and is great topped with sliced chicken or wild salmon for a more complete meal.

Ingredients:

3 cups organic raw kale, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup cranberries 
1 organic tomato, chopped
Juice of 2-3 whole lemons
2 T cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
pinch sea salt
pinch pepper

Instructions:

Sprinkle lemon juice on kale and work into the leaves.



I basically used clean hands to cover each leaf with a little juice.  You could use even more lemon juice if you like an extra "lemon-y" flavor.
 

Add chopped tomatoes:
 

Add cranberries.  I was running low so didn't add as many as the recipe calls for.
 

Add pine nuts.
 

Top with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Cover and refrigerate.  Serve cold after a few hours so that the flavors can set and the kale can soften even more.


Save yourself some money at Whole Foods and give your body an amazing nutrient boost!

*M*

3 comments:

  1. I am currently obsessed with their Kale salad and was just thinking to myself I better figure out how to make it so I don't break the bank!Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also addicted to their kale salad and this recipe sounds so good. I always wanted to know how they got their Kale soft and not so hard and chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is providing good information. I liked it and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. I really appreciated this post. Just want to say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post.
    Best Lactation Cookies

    ReplyDelete