Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quick and Easy Mexican Chicken Bake

I'm always looking for ways to save some time in the kitchen while also preparing yummy, healthy foods.  I made this recipe a few months ago and completely forgot to post it, but it was so good I can't help but share.  I found it on Fast Paleo's website while web searching healthy recipes for store-bought rotisserie chicken.  In case you were confused, this recipe is actually not Paleo because it contains dairy.  I'm not advocating a Paleo diet, but there are actually some pretty yummy recipes on this site.  (By the way, I think there are some compelling reasons to eat a more "paleolithic" diet - more vegetables/fruits, fewer processed grains/sugar - but I wouldn't take it as nutrition doctrine.  Consult with me if you have questions about your own nutrition needs.)

Anyway, back to the chicken cheese goodness.  I decided to make this because I had purchased an organic rotisserie chicken from Whole Foods.  Most grocery store-purchased rotisserie chickens are pumped full of salt and other preservatives and are often made from hormone-treated chickens.  For this reason, I only buy my pre-cooked rotisserie chickens Whole Foods.  They range in price from $8.99 to $11.99 (depending on if you purchase organic - the non-organic is certified humanely raised without hormones or antibiotics).  The best part?  I think they taste better than the ones from your run-of-the-mill grocery store.  

I used organic sour cream and raw organic cheese that I shredded with a fine grater.


Ingredients:

1 store bought organic rotisserie chicken
1.5 tablespoons cumin
1.5 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (I used about 3 tablespoons)
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used about 1/2 cup)

Optional garnishes:
Shredded lettuce
Diced cherry tomatoes
Sliced avocado
Cilantro leaves
Sour cream

Instructions:

I didn't even think to take photos as I prepped the recipe, but it was turning out so delicious looking that I snapped a few shots mid-way through! Don't worry, it's really simple.

Preheat your oven to 375º. In a large bowl place the shredded chicken, spices, lime juice, sour cream, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste then mix well. Transfer to a lightly oiled baking dish and top with cheese.


 
Pop into the preheated oven for 15 minutes.  The cilantro will wilt a bit in the heat, but it lends a great texture and flavor.



Garnish the top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado slices and serve with a nice dollop of sour cream and your favorite hot sauce.  I topped mine with fresh tomatoes, salsa, and guacamole and served it with a mixed green salad made with various spring herbs and cabbage.



Try it the next time you buy a rotisserie chicken at the store - it's so easy and really delicious, both at the time you make it and for leftovers.

Enjoy!

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment