Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Crockpot Autumn Chicken Sausage Casserole

This time of year - despite the still lingering freakishly high temperatures - I'm craving a taste of fall. This awesome crockpot recipe adapted from "A Year of Slow Cooking" tastes like autumn in a bowl, and it's also packed full of healthy veggies and fruit, gluten-free whole grains, and lean protein. Pair it with some roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and walnuts (I used pecans) for a delightful dinner any time of the year.

I put all ingredients in the slow cooker pot the night before and popped it on the crock pot heating element the next morning. It was wonderful coming home that night to a house filled with cinnamon and spice. One caveat - because of this, I had to add significantly more liquid (see ingredient note below). I also added more carrots, apples, and onions than in the recipe, and I used celery and a can of black beans as well. Additionally, I didn't have allspice, so I used cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and cloves.

This made 6 servings plus about 4 servings to freeze, so it was very economical for us. I can't wait to have the reheated-from-frozen servings next week!

Ingredients:

1 pound sausage (I used apple chicken sausage, 1 1/2 lb)
1 large, or 2 small apples, chopped (no need to peel - I used 2 large)
1 yellow onion, chopped (I used 2)
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped celery
3 cups already cooked long-grain brown rice
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup raisins
1 T dried parsley flakes
1 T brown sugar (I used a dash of stevia)
1/2 tsp allspice (I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and pepper)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth or water (I used 1 1/2 cups - 1 cup the night before and 1/2 the day of; you might need more or less, so make sure to check it a few hours into cooking)

Instructions:

Assemble ingredients. If you're using uncooked sausage, brown it in a skillet first.



Dump all the ingredients into the crock, and stir well.







The black beans add a nice texture and consistency, plus extra fiber and protein. If you want to make this dish vegan, eliminate the chicken sausage and use vegetable broth or water instead of chicken broth.








Yummy spices:





Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4. You're really only heating through, and allowing the vegetables to soften.



This will not stick together like a gloppy casserole; it has the consistency of fried rice. Use bowls to serve rather than plates.


Look at this awesome brussel sprout side dish too!



See? Fall in a bowl!


Enjoy!

*M*

1 comment:

  1. I love the flavor combinations in this dish! It is definitely Fall here, so ready for warm, cozy foods! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete