Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Kale Waldorf Salad

My husband hates kale. Well, he hated kale, until this recipe. Kale is such a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals, and it has been studied extensively for its anti-cancer, heart-protective effects...hence my insistence to get Greg to love it. I'm so glad I finally found something that he actually likes!

This recipe, taken from the Whole Foods website, combines healthy, almost all raw foods together in a combo that lasts at least 3 days in the fridge (if it's not gobbled up before then). It would be especially delicious as a full meal, topped with chicken.

Whole Foods Kale Waldorf Salad

Ingredients

4 cups packed finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, chopped, divided
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons water, more if needed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Add half the apple to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup raisins. Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin. Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.

Instructions

Place kale in a large bowl.


Add half the apple to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup raisins. Note: I made this recipe on a whim and didn't have celery, so I added a little extra apple.




Put remaining apple in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar and salt.





Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin.




Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.




Enjoy!

*M*

1 comment:

  1. Hey! OK, so I just bought and tried Kale for the first time.
    *shameless plug, see my blog entry about it*
    http://sotherebyamy.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-kale.html

    But, next time I think I will try this salad recipe - seeing as how my boyfriend hated both dishes I made. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete