Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken and Butternut Squash Millet Risotto and Clean Week 3

Clean Week 3 was perhaps the most difficult, yet most revealing week yet. I was traveling for work and under an incredible amount of stress. I managed to get the flu while in my hotel (not recommended) and was cooped up for a day in my room, sans room service. Despite all of this, I still stayed within the guidelines of the program and was able to get over the flu rather quickly. A wonderful coworker brought me ingredients to make chicken and rice soup in my room kitchen, and it certainly hit the spot when nothing else sounded good.

Stress is a bad thing. I carry stress in places like my throat and back, and I definitely attribute my contracting the flu to the fact that I put a lot of pressure on myself during the week. The Clean Program guidelines clearly state that detox should be a time of rest and relaxation, but it was quite the opposite for me. At the end of the 3 weeks, I felt like I had survived an emotional hurricane.

I'm still glad I did the Clean Program this time. It has re-set my taste preferences, and I crave vegetables and fruit. It feels weird eating later than 6 at night, and my allergies have definitely calmed down. I did learn that I need to relax - no, seriously - and that I can't survive with so much stress. It just doesn't work for me anymore.

I actually made the recipe below last night, post-cleanse. It is so good and yet is gluten- and dairy-free. I adapted it from the Clean Program recipe book (click on GOOP recipes), adding butternut squash instead of artichokes and including organic chicken for protein. My husband loves it and adds siracha for some spice. It's especially delicious paired with a big, fresh salad and homemade gluten-free bread with organic pasture butter (Whole Foods)!

Millet is an easily digestible, hypoallergenic whole grain that's a good source of B vitamins and fiber (5 grams!). It mimics rice in this risotto because it has a creamy, delicious consistency and doesn't even need cheese.

Chicken and Butternut Squash Millet Risotto

Ingredients:

1 cup millet
6 T extra virgin olive oil, divided
3/4 cup red onion
1 cup mushrooms
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 butternut squash
4 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
1 lb. organic chicken breast or thighs
1/3 cup walnuts for garnish (optional)

Assemble your ingredients:


Wash the squash. Cut off the ends:



Peel the skin with a vegetable peeler:



Cut down the center and scoop the seeds out with an ice cream scoop:



Cut each half into bite-sized pieces:


Toss in a bowl with 2 T olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet:


When the squash is done, remove from the pan and set aside:


Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Toss with 1 T olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary. Roast at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.



Spread the chicken across the bottom of a small glass baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the centers are no longer pink. Remove from the dish and set aside to be used when the millet is finished:


Note: I pop the squash and the chicken in the oven together and allow them to bake while I start the millet. Once the squash and chicken are done, I set them aside until the millet is done.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil with the shallots and mushrooms, and cook, stirring frequently until softened (about 5 minutes):




Add cup of water, bring the heat to high, and add the millet:



Then lower heat to medium heat and start to add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition, every few minutes.


When the stock has been almost completely absorbed after each addition, keep adding more, so the mixture isn’t quite soup but stays very moist.


Keep doing this until millet is tender and has at least doubled in size (about 20 minutes).
Add herbs, squash, and chicken at the last few minutes of cooking and taste for texture.
Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle in walnuts (if using). Serve warm.






I could honestly eat this every week, it's that good! It takes a bit of time to prep, but it sits in our fridge all week and makes for a great warm lunch at work or quick dinner paired with veggies. I am so happy I came across this recipe!

Enjoy!
*M*

1 comment: