Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Vitamin D Deficient? Me too!


OK, I'll admit it. I ask all of my clients to get their 25(OH)D (vitamin D) levels checked at the doctor...but I hadn't gotten mine checked until this week! It's a simple blood test that takes just a few minutes, and it is the only way for you to know your vitamin D status. My level? A measly 27.1. Though most labs recommend a range of 30-100 ng/mL, research from the Vitamin D Council suggests a year-round blood range of 50-80 ng/mL, with levels not going below 50. Oops.

Why should I even care so much about vitamin D? Straight from the Vitamin D Council's website: "Technically not a 'vitamin,' vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune disease, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more. Vitamin D's influence on key biological functions vital to one's health and well-being mandates that vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health."

Convinced? You should be! And the evidence is mounting every day.

Also known as the "sunshine vitamin," many of us have thought that if we live in Arizona or any warm-weather state, we don't need to worry about vitamin D. Vitamin D is synthesized through the skin when it comes into contact with UV rays. Unfortunately, in efforts to reduce our skin cancer risk or prevent wrinkles, we put on sunblock, which prevents the skin, kidneys, and liver from making vitamin D.

The USDA raised vitamin D recommendations from 400 IU (international units) to 800 IU per day, but many experts are recommending 2,000 IU to 5,000 IU and more. To give you some perspective, we synthesize 10,000 IU through uncovered, mid-day summer skin exposure (without sunscreen!) to the sun for 20-30 minutes.

Obviously, sun exposure is the best source of vitamin D. If you live in a warmer state, regular mid-day sun exposure for most of the year (preventing burning) is your best way to get enough vitamin D. However, if you work indoors, live in a state farther north than Georgia, or avoid sun exposure for any reason, supplementation is absolutely crucial. Vitamin D can be found in certain foods like egg yolks or fortified milk, but it's best to get it from a high quality cod liver oil, such as Carlson's, or through vitamin D3 supplements. Make sure you get D3, not any other form.

How much should you supplement? It depends on your blood levels, skin color, latitude, and sun exposure. The farther away you live from the equator, the darker your skin, and the higher your weight, the more vitamin D you may need.

The first step is getting your vitamin D checked through a blood test of your 25(OH)D. If your levels falls below 50, which is becoming the generally accepted minimum level for optimal D status, consider supplementing with 2,000 - 5,000 IU vitamin D per day until your levels are above 50. Don't worry about toxicity. No known toxicity at levels of even 10,000 IU have been reported, and our ancestors, who were outside many hours of a day, synthesized far greater levels of vitamin D on their own. Of course, make sure to talk to your doctor before starting any supplementation.

If you're an expectant mother, you may have heard that breast milk tends to be low in vitamin D. The only reason for this is that most women are deficient in D themselves, so not enough is transferred into their breast milk. Optimize your vitamin D levels before getting pregnant, and continue to supplement during pregnancy and breastfeeding to protect yourself and your child.

I was taking 2,000 IU most days and trying to get a little sun every day (about 10 minutes), but obviously that's not enough for me! I'm very curious to see if I start to feel better as my vitamin D levels increase. Will keep you posted.

*M*

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you posted this! My doctor told me I could not take Vit D supplements and have it go into my breast milk. He said breastmilk is deficient always, without even testing me! He also said if I supplement myself I could risk vit d posioning... ugh, I HATE the army doctors... Anyways, he said I needed to give the baby a multi vitamin. Multi-vitamins for breastfed babies are just crazy because why would mother nature make something so perfect as breast milk and then have us have to supplement it? I am happy to hear that if I just make sure I get adequate amounts then she does get the benefit. When it was cloudy/winter I did end up giving her a just d vit drops make with organic coconut oil, but now I make sure I get enough time in the sun each day. Long story short, good blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a shame that your doctor was misinformed! Vitamin D experts are clear that breastmilk content is low because women are ususally low in D. Furthermore, if you breastfeed, your levels might dip lower because some of the vitamin D transfers to your breastmilk...all the more reason for supplementation! Breastmilk is truly nature's perfect food; the downside is that we have gone around nature and don't live how we were designed to live - with much more sun! I'm glad you're taking your child's health into your own hands and doing your research. Sometimes it just takes a while for the word to get out there. In fact, it was my OB/GYN (a younger doctor who is very up on the research and super savvy) to check it upon my request, and my primary never even suggested it. Keep up the good work with breastfeeding! I hope you can go as long as you and baby want. You're giving her the best gift in the world! If only every child was so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance. وصفات للتخسيس

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. servetheservantss

    ReplyDelete