Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Grain-free Banana Nut Waffles (Paleo-friendly)

My intern Kelsey is at it again!  This girl loves to cook, and she has been making some delicious recipes for her family.  When I was in college, my specialties were salads with sliced tofu and Lean Pockets (ugh).  I'm so glad she got the "real foods" message at a much earlier age than I did, plus her time in the kitchen will be so helpful when she's an RD one day!

These waffles are gluten-free and can be refrigerated and reheated for future meals.  I have a feeling my Baby-led Weaning friends will love this for their littles ones!

************

From Kelsey:

When I was younger, my least favorite meal of the day was breakfast.  I have no clue what changed, but now I absolutely love breakfast.  In high school I would let myself sleep in until the last second, usually grabbing a bar or something quick to eat on my way to school.  Even though I now wake up earlier, I give myself a good 30 minutes to eat breakfast.  I guess my habit changed once I started taking nutrition classes and learned just how important breakfast really is for you.  It basically "jump starts" your metabolism for the entire day.  This is why I started doing research into different kinds of breakfast foods.

I got this recipe for Banana Nut Waffles from FoodBabe.  She has some amazing recipes, and I found this one while skimming through her page.  I hope you all enjoy them as much as I do.  They are such a big hit with my family that we even make them for dinner.

Ingredients:

4 eggs, slightly beaten
2 mashed ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
1 cup almond flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Maple syrup for serving

Instructions:

Assemble ingredients.


Preheat waffle iron.  Assemble wet ingredients: eggs, bananas, vanilla, and water.


Add the dry ingredients: almond flour, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon, walnuts.


Grease preheated waffle iron with cooking spray.  (I used the coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's.)

Spoon batter onto hot waffle iron.  Cook approximately four minutes or until timer goes off.


Mmmmmm....

Enjoy!

*M*

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog you’ve got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site. . . Nutrition


    ReplyDelete