Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

What's In My Pantry?

A very special reader has asked me to post photos of my pantry and make some recommendations as to what non-perishable items to keep on hand. Here are some photos of my pantry, as well as recommendations for how to stock our kitchen so you can make a variety of recipes - or throw something together quickly!

My pantry isn't always fully stocked, but at least you'll get an idea of some healthy staples to have on hand.



On this shelf you'll see the majority of my cooking products, including oils, vinegars, canned goods, spices, and herbs. See below for specific recommendations for stocking your pantry.


When it comes to salt, use only real, dirty sea salt. I like Redmond's brand Real Salt.


Coconut oil can is great to cook with because it has a high smoke point and can be used at higher temperatures without damaging the fat in the oil. Don't be afraid of the saturated fat content. It's important to be more concerned about processed carbohydrates than saturated fats from real, unrefined sources. I like the raw coconut oil from Artisano (Whole Foods).


It's also important to have healthy grains on hand. I always try to have brown rice, quinoa, brown rice cakes, and sometimes whole wheat gnocchi. Other good options are described below. As you can see in this picture, I also keep sweet potatoes and onions in my pantry, since they thrive in cool, dark environments and don't have to be refrigerated.


I always have herbal tea in my pantry. My favorite brand is Yogi because I really like the herbal blends of each flavor and am a sucker for the cute little sayings on the tea bag string papers. Their ginger variety is great after a big meal, as it aids in the digestive process.


This is my baking section. I don't usually use regular sugar or flour, but it's important to have it available in case you want to make baked goods for a special occasion. I also like to have buckwheat, spelt, and other whole grain flours. As you can see in the background, I also make sure to have plenty of stevia in my pantry as well.


Here is a somewhat unorganized way to store bulk goods. (I know, I know...I need to figure out another way to do this!) I like to keep dried beans, grains, nuts, seeds, coconut, and other bulk items available in case they pop up in a recipe. It's much cheaper to buy these items from the bulk bin at Whole Foods or Sprouts than to get them in small, individually packaged quantities.


This is the final shelf. I mainly keep Lara bars, nuts, chia seeds, fiber powder, and protein powder on hand. You can also see my butter dish - choose organic, and opt for butter over margarine any day!

Here is a comprehensive list of items you might want to have regularly available in your pantry, adapted from Eating Well's list.

Oils, Vinegars, and Condiments

First cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil and olive oil dressings, such as Bragg's Healthy Vinaigrette
Raw coconut oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, and sesame oil
Organic butter
Real mayonnaise
Vinegars: balsamic, red wine, white wine, rice, and raw apple cider (Bragg's brand)
Asian condiments: organic soy sauce, curry paste, oyster sauce, fish sauce, hoisin sauce
Kalamata and green olives
Mustards: Dijon, whole grain, and yellow
Capers
Organic ketchup
Barbecue sauce
Worcestershire sauce

Flavorings

Coarse and regular dirty sea salt
Black pepper
Onions
Fresh garlic
Fresh ginger
Anchovies or anchovy paste (for pasta sauces, salad dressings)
Lemons, limes, and oranges for zesting (always choose organic if zesting)
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Dark, bittersweet, and semisweet chocolate chips

Spices and Herbs

Allspice
Caraway seeds
Chili powder
Cinnamon (ground and sticks)
Coriander seeds
Cumin seeds
Ground cumin
Curry powder
Ground ginger
Dry mustard
Nutmeg
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Crushed red pepper
Turmeric
Bay leaves
Dill
Sage
Thyme
Oregano
Tarragon
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder

Sweeteners

Raw honey
Stevia
Real maple syrup
Agave nectar
Raw turbinado sugar
Brown and granulated sugar (to use when you can't use the above options)

Canned and Bottled Items

Canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and marinara sauce (choose organic because tomatoes are highly sprayed with pesticides)
Organic chicken, beef, and/or vegetable broth
Clam juice
Regular or lite coconut milk
Canned beans: cannellini beans, great northern beans, chickpeas, black beans, red kidney beans
Canned lentils
Chunk light tuna, wild salmon, and sardines
Canned or boxed soups to have in a pinch, such as lentil, split pea, or tomato

Grains and Legumes

Quinoa
Brown rice
Pasta: quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat
Pearl barley
Rolled oats
Whole wheat couscous
Bulgur
Dried lentils
Yellow cornmeal
Whole wheat dry breadcrumbs
Flours: whole wheat, spelt, rice, buckwheat, all-purpose
Brown rice cakes

Nuts and Seeds


Walnuts
Pecans
Almonds
Hazelnuts
Dry-roasted peanuts
Pine nuts
Sesame seeds
Organic peanut butter
Almond butter
Cashew butter
Tahini
Dried fruits (apricots, plums, cranberries, dates, raisins)

I hope this helps you get some ideas as to what to keep in your pantry! I don't have all of these items at any given time, but I wanted to give you an all-inclusive list so you can have plenty ideas when you go grocery shopping. Good luck stocking your pantry!

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment