Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Should You Take Fish Oils?

As promised, here is some more information on omega-3 fatty acids. I am a guest blogger on Get In Shape Arizona, a blog for EduFit Personal Training Studio, so please go to their site here to read more about these amazing - and essential - fats! Learn what they are, where you get them, and whether or not you should take them. Of course, talk to your doctor before starting a supplement regimen.

Additionally, please remember that while walnuts and flaxseeds have omega-3's, they are in a form that is not fully converted to EPA and DHA, the two essential omega-3 fatty acids. This does not mean that we should avoid walnuts and flaxseeds; recent studies suggest they still have great heart promoting benefits. The take home message is that fish and nuts, as long as you're not allergic to them, are both important parts of our diet. If you don't eat fish, then fish oil supplementation is recommended.

I personally take two fish oil supplements: Carlson Labs Norwegian Cod Liver Oil and Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil, both of which can be purchased on Amazon.

I take 1 teaspoon of the cod liver oil with food in the morning. It tastes like lemon and doesn't have a fishy aftertaste. It also has vitamins D and A, along with essential fatty acids DHA and EPA.



I also take 2 capsules of Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil, which is orange flavored, in the morning or at night with food. Both supplements together provide about 2,000 mg omega-3 fatty acids per day.


If you take any supplement, I highly recommend good quality fish oils and cod liver oil, such as Carlson's or Nordic Naturals. I personally aim to eat fatty fish 2-3 times per week and eat walnuts, flaxseeds, or almonds on a daily basis. These fish oil supplements help me cover my bases when I can't seem to get in enough wild salmon or mackerel.

*M*

1 comment:

  1. I use protein powder twice a day. This helps me a lot. Thank you!!fat burner

    ReplyDelete