Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Healthy Highlights

We spend a lot of time, effort, and money trying to eat healthfully, exercise, and avoid toxins that may harm us. Why, then do we put potentially toxic chemicals on our heads every 6-8 weeks in the name of beauty? Hair coloring, including highlights, may be another place where we're exposing ourselves to chemicals that might cause problems. In fact, people who work in the hair styling industry are three times more likely than the average person to develop health issues (including cancer) due to inhalation from and exposure to the chemicals in hair dyes. Furthermore, the FDA does not require testing of these products, making it even harder for consumers to know what they're using. Even though these products go on our hair, they are still exposed to our scalps and thus our blood stream (and entire body). Why take the chance, right?

In comes Green With Envy, an organic hair salon in Old Town Scottsdale. I came upon this salon after a rather concerning hair dying experience. I went to a stylist that used such harsh chemicals on my hair that I had a rash on my neck for a week, and my scalp was itchy and sensitive. I realized that the regular highlighting I have been doing was simply not healthy for me or my skin. Green With Envy is owned by a Scottsdale native (and Saguaro alum) who was searching for a healthy, eco-friendly, safe way to dye and style hair without the potential side effects. Another cool thing - if you're pregnant and concerned about hair dyes, you don't have to worry at Green With Envy! You can still be pregnant AND chic.

So what are the results? I absolutely adore my color, my hair is soft, and my husband even said, "Wow, your hair smells great" last night (which he never notices). Check out their website here. Tell them I sent you if you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment