Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Monday, March 15, 2010

"Fried" Chicken and Cole Slaw

I find that a lot of Self Magazine's recipes tend to have foods I try not to eat (such as fat free cheese or tofu), but I must say I really enjoyed this Unfried Chicken with Cabbage and Apple Slaw. It got the official husband approval, meaning it's guy (and foodie) friendly. Here are some shots of the process:

I make my own breadcrumbs by putting Ezekiel sprouted bread drizzled with cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with garlic powder in my toaster/convection oven.

(I think I need to clean my toaster oven...)

Next, I put the cooled, toasted bread in my little hand chopper that came with my Cuisinart immersion blender. You can also use a food processor, but I never registered for a new one and my old one is, well, not the greatest. Turns out I didn't love cooking like I do now when we registered for our wedding. Anyway, here's a crude picture of my little chopper.



As the recipe says, combine the breadcrumbs with all the herbs and some dijon mustard. Dredge the organic chicken in organic buttermilk and then in the breadcrumb mixture.



Next, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the coated bone-in chicken on the sheet. The recipe says to put them on a roasting rack above a baking sheet, but I think they turned out just fine this way.



While the chicken bakes (about 30 minutes at 400 degrees), make the coleslaw. This can also be done in advance. The dressing is so simple and so healthy! Apple cider and balsamic vinegars, honey, dijon and grain mustards, salt, pepper, thyme, sage, parsley...I made extra because I had more cabbage than called for in the recipe. I forgot to buy the lemon, so I used freshly squeezed orange juice to keep the apples from browning. Apples are low in vitamin C, which prevents oxidation and browning, so to keep apples looking fresh, just sprinkle them with fresh citrus juice!

Here's the beautiful cole slaw:



Once the chicken is cooked, serve with the cole slaw and enjoy! Like I said, this was a truly spectacular dinner. (I think my parents will be excited because they get to enjoy it tomorrow! This is the recipe I made for our weekly "swap.") Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment