Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Monday, July 1, 2013

All About Oats Part 3: Oatmeal Baked Chicken

I haven't blogged in a month because I'm working on a new special project in the kitchen.  I promise I will share it with you soon, as I'm really excited about it.  Until then, how about some chicken?

As you know, I have been cooking with oatmeal a lot more lately since oats are considered galactagogues (foods that help with breastmilk supply).  I haven't had any supply issues, but since I'm pumping every day to build up a freezer stash I'm trying to keep my supply really strong.  Plus, oats are a great way to sneak in soluble fiber and B vitamins, and they are a great substitute for breadcrumbs in many recipes.

The recipe below is adapted from Taste of Home but has been tweaked because I'm avoiding cow's milk.  It has a nice, hearty texture and was given the big thumb's up by the Mister.  I also didn't use nearly as much chicken as originally called for and made the recipe with organic chicken thighs.

Oatmeal Baked Chicken

Ingredients:
1 cup rolled or quick cooking oats (can opt for gluten-free oats as well)
1 T paprika
1 T garlic powder
1 T chili powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 lb. organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 egg, beaten 
2 T melted pasture butter

Instructions:

Here's my sous chef with ingredients:


Coat a 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray or a bit of melted butter; set aside.  In a shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag, combine oats, paprika, chili powder, salt if desired, garlic powder, cumin and pepper. 


In a separate bowl, dip chicken in egg, then coat with oat mixture.  I forgot to snap a photo, so here's one of my helper.


When I'm around hot surfaces I put her in her play gym on the floor, away from anything that could fall or splatter.  Safety around kiddos is imperative while cooking.


Place in prepared baking dish. Drizzle with butter.  (I simply cut up little pieces of butter and placed on top.)


Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear.  Serves 6.
 
While baking, prepare your side dishes...or just play with your 2- and 4-legged friends.




Nom nom, no?


Serve with a big green salad and sliced sweet potatoes drizzled with coconut oil and seasoned with cinnamon and sea salt.




She doesn't get to taste it (directly), but she loves to watch as we eat.  Family meals start early around here!


All done!


Enjoy!
*M*


1 comment: