Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Homemade Heallthy Olive/Flaxseed Oil Mayo

I'm not a fan of commercially purchased mayonnaise because it usually either contains soy or canola oil, which are both usually genetically modified unless you purchase organic varieties. Soy oil can be highly inflammatory due to its high omega-6 content and may have deleterious effects on the thyroid. Canola oil, on the other hand, is higher in monounsaturated fats (the kinds that make olive oil healthy), but is actually genetically engineered from the rape plant, as a "canola" plant doesn't exist.

Furthermore, so many commercially produced mayo products have a lot of strange additives. Don't be fooled by Hellmann's mayo commercials in which they talk about how their mayo is "real" - in my opinion, highly processed, pesticide-laden genetically modified soy oil (a.k.a. "vegetable" oil on the label) is not my idea of "real." However, it's still better than an ingredient list 20+ long.

I personally prefer using olive oil, coconut oil, and flaxseed or walnut oil more than all others because of their protective and anti-inflammatory properties. Monounsaturated fats (olive oil), omega-3 fats (walnut/flaxseed oil), and lauric acid (coconut oil) are cardio-protective compared to pro-inflammatory omega-6 oils like corn, soy, and peanut. (By the way, the other "fat" I use is pasture butter, but I don't think you'd want melted butter in your salad dressing or mayo!)

By the way, if I do purchase mayo from the store, I usually get safflower mayo at Whole Foods or Sprouts. Safflower is still high in omega-6, but I prefer it over canola or soy oil.


In efforts to avoid canola or soy in commercial mayo, I decided to try my hand at homemade mayonnaise made with olive and flaxseed oils. With a stand mixer it was especially easy. It has a stronger flavor, but used in the
Whole Foods inspired Curry Chicken Salad recipe, it had a wonderful taste and texture.

I adapted this recipe from Nourishing Days, a food blog devoted to traditional foods. I tripled the recipe to have extra to store, and I used a blend of olive and flaxseed oils instead of just olive oil.

Ingredients:

1 egg yolk
1 T lemon juice
6 T olive oil
2 T flaxseed oil
Pinch of celtic sea salt and pepper
Pinch of mustard powder

Directions:


Assemble ingredients:


Warm the bowl by filling a small metal or glass bowl with warm water. Let sit for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of our ingredients. After a few minutes dump out warm water and dry bowl thoroughly. I just heated some water in my tea pot and let the hot water sit in the bowl to warm it.


Combine egg yolk and lemon juice in bowl and whisk thoroughly.



Place olive oil in a measuring cup with a spout. You are now going to drizzle the olive oil in one drop at a time while whisking (or blending using your stand mixer). It sounds tedious, but it doesn’t take long. Just go very slowly so that the egg yolk can emulsify the lemon juice and oil. I added a small amount at a time and let the blender keep mixing on its own.


Once you are about halfway through your oil you can start drizzling a little faster. Just keep whisking/mixing to ensure that the olive and flaxseed oil emulsify (or blend).


Once all of the oil is incorporated you should have a thick, creamy texture. Whisk in the salt and mustard powder. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. It thickens more once refrigerated.



Refrigerate immediately if not using; it keeps for a few days.

Here's that yummy chicken salad with my homemade mayo! I'm also planning to use it for egg salad as well. Yum!


Enjoy!

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment