Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Beer-battered Fish Tacos

I'm always on the lookout for healthy taco recipes, and I have to say this one from Eatingwell.com really hits the spot. As always, I adapted it to suit my nutrition and ingredient preferences. The batter fell off the fish a little more than I would have liked, but I just scraped it up and piled it in the taco - same taste, right? I loved that I was able to use up some thawed tilapia that had been on sale at Whole Foods and was waiting in the freezer for a few weeks.

Note - I did not make the salsa; instead, I put together a simple taco sauce using organic sour cream and safflower mayo, adapted from this recipe on SoupAddict.com. I used pre-made salsa to top the tacos as well.

This recipe was a big hit in our house. Serve these babies piled high with shredded cabbage and enjoy with a side of black "refried" beans for a simple, healthy comfort food!

Ingredients:

Sauce:
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/2 cup safflower mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. ground garlic
Cholula, to taste
Sea salt, to taste

Tacos:
3 T. whole wheat flour
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/3 cup beer (I only had Bud Light - surprise, surprise)
12 ounces tilapia fillet, cut crosswise into 1-inch wide strips
2 tsp. organic pasture butter
4 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
Jarred or fresh salsa
Shredded cabbage

Instructions:



Combine all ingredients for sauce and season with Cholula to taste. Cover and refrigerate. This sauce can be made 1-2 days in advance.




Combine flour, cumin, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl.



Whisk in beer to create a batter. (Can you tell I get really excited whenever I get to cook with beer - or wine, for that matter?)







Coat tilapia pieces in batter. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.





Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2-3 minutes per side.



Serve the fish in a tortilla topped with salsa, shredded cabbage, and the taco sauce.



(We also enjoyed it with Trader Joe's vegetable flaxseed chips and homemade guacamole!)



Enjoy!

*M*

1 comment:

  1. Look at those delicious tacos, YUM!!! I love the recipe too, especially with the addition of Greek yogurt! I think a darker beer may be fun too, like a nut brown ale....or you could get wacky and add Guinness, YUM!!! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete