Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

When Recipes Fail...

I only feature recipes on my blog that I have actually made and enjoyed. Last week, I was excited to make and share a new Simple Suppers recipe - 5-ingredient Shrimp Curry. I photographed the very easy steps and was stoked to enjoy it with my husband, but it just didn't taste that great. It was too spicy and had the wrong texture.

I don't want you to have the same experience, so I chose not to feature it. The next night I used the leftover brown rice and made awesome Brown Rice and Goat Cheese Cakes, along with simply baked chicken (olive oil, salt and pepper at 400 degrees for ~30 minutes), Orange and Blue Grilled Romaine Salad (from "Five Ingredient Fix" on Food Network), and sauteed summer squash. Of course, I didn't think to take pictures of the process, but I got a few shots at the end when I realized how yummy it all turned out.

The salad was a bit unusual - I would have used less orange and more of a lemon flavor - but I really liked the grilled romaine and blue cheese pairing. I'm also a weirdo about sweet-savory combinations, so others might like this even more.





The Brown Rice and Goat Cheese cakes are an awesome way to use leftover brown rice and sneak in some veggies. They were extremely tasty!






Moral of the story is this: when you cook a lot, sometimes things just don't turn out. I'm not a trained chef, and oftentimes I make things that I just don't dig. Fortunately, with practice and experience, we all learn what flavor combinations we enjoy and how to spot a recipe we will (most likely) love. My hope is that I can help bring some of those recipes to you more quickly so you can create healthy meals that taste great - without kitchen failures!

Happy cooking!
*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment