Changing for the better, one bite and (deep) breath at a time.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Black Bean and Salmon Tostadas

I love any chance to make healthy, tasty Mexican-inspired food. This recipe stood out to me because it uses both salmon and avocado, which are good sources of healthy fats, and is relatively inexpensive. While I don't like using a lot of canned products because can linings can contain BPA, sometimes canned foods help when you don't have a lot of time or energy and are OK when not utilized regularly. This recipe, found at one of my favorite websites, can be seen here.

A few considerations:
- I personally don't like jalapenos (and forgot to buy them!), so I used a bit of cayenne pepper and/or Cholula to add a bit of zip.
- Instead of microwaving, which I try to avoid altogether, I heated up the black bean mixture on the stove in a saucepan. It took about 4 minutes.
- Instead of corn tortillas, which my husband doesn't like, I used organic whole spelt tortillas. If you use corn, make sure it's organic so you're avoiding genetically modified corn.
- The cabbage, avocados, lime, and scallions are all from the North Scottsdale Farmers Market.
- I made extra of the salmon mixture and cabbage so I could have leftovers (and add extra veggies!).

Black Bean Salmon Tostadas
4 servings, 2 tostadas each

Ingredients
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 6-7 ounce can boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained (I used 2 5-ounce cans that had bones, and these bones, while not noticeable, added calcium!)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage (shred your own if you can!)
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream (I used organic regular sour cream)
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa (I used 1/2 cup pico de gallo - more veggies!)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Lime wedges (optional)

Here are most of the ingredients:



Instructions

Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375 degrees. Coat tortillas on both side with cooking spray.


Place on 2 baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until light brown, 12-14 minutes. I only made 3 tortillas because I knew we wouldn't be able to eat 4 (2 each).



Combine salmon, avocado, and jalapenos (or cayenne pepper) in a bowl.



Combine cabbage, cilantro and the pickling juice (or Cholula) in another bowl.




Process black beans, sour cream, salsa and scallions in a food processor until smooth.


Heat on the stove (instead of a microwave) until warm.


Here's what my little assembly line looked like:



To assemble tostadas, spread each tortilla with some bean mixture.




Top with the salmon mixture.


Add the cabbage salad and serve with lime wedges.



It was really filling and light, not heavy and dense like a lot of traditional tostadas. Enjoy!

*M*

No comments:

Post a Comment